Friday, May 10, 2013

"Pomponia imperatoria"

"Pomponia imperatoria"


I ve been invited to take part of "Skull Appreciation Day "show curated by  Noah Scalin and Vanessa Ruiz at The International Museum of Surgical Science . As part of the show i was asked  to use a provided template to create a new digital work, that they could cut apart and recombine with other artist's work. so I made this piece as a tribute  to cicadas and  their symbolism often associated with resurrection, immortality, spiritual realization and spiritual ecstasy .

A symbol of rebirth

Linnaeus named the Cicada which means “tree cricket” in Latin. The group’s genus Magicicada comes from the Greek word Magi, meaning magic. The lifecycle and metamorphosis of this cricket was observed by ancient Greeks, Chinese and Mayas. They craftily associated the creature’s emergence from the ground and transformation into a winged invertebrate fully capable of flight,  to rebirth and the immortality in poetry, literature and art.

In Chinese folklore the cicada is considered a sacred animal symbol of resurrection .During the Chou Dynasty  cicada-shaped funeral jades were used in religious ritual burials. The cicada funeral jade was placed on the tongue of deceased (dead) people as it was believed to bring about resurrection or reincarnation.

"I go through three stages of
development: egg, nymph and adult. My egg is laid
in tree branches and when I hatch I fall to the ground.
In my larval stage I am called a nymph and I can live in the ground for many years. Some periodic broods or nests of cicada larvae live in the ground for 17 years! I emerge from the ground and attach myself to trees, plants, or structures until I pop out of my skin and become an adult. As an adult, I only live from 2 weeks to 40 days. "